Learn Myanmar Language in conversational and literary form. Learn to speak and read Burmese. The Free Online Colloquial Burmese (Myanmar language) lessons include Burmese script, MP3 audio, PDF files and easy Burmese grammar study materials with color-coded parts of speech: nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, conjunctions, particles, postpositional markers, and interjections.
|Ah1||"a" in "art" with silent "rt"|
|Ah2||"ar" in "Argentina" with silent "r"|
|Ah3||"ar" in "Artist" with slilent "r"|
|De1||"de" in "deep" with silent "p"|
|De2||"de" as in "demote"; "demand"|
|De3||"dee" as in "deer"; "decent"|
|Ko1||"colt" with silent "lt"|
|Ko2||as in "co-author"; "cocaine"|
|Ko3||"cold" wit silent "ld"|
|Yu1||"u" in "Youth" with silent "th"|
|Yu2||"u" as in "university"; "utensil"|
|Yu3||"u" as in "user"; "Unix"|
|Shan1||as in "shunt" with silent "t"|
|Shan2||"shun" as in "chandelier"|
|Shan3||as in "shun"|
|Au1||as in "auction"|
|Au2||as in "Australia";"auditor"|
|Au3||as in "August"|
|May1||"maize" with silent "ze"|
|May2||"may" as in "May I?"|
|May3||"ay" in "amazing"|
|Sin1||"sink" with silent "k"|
|Sin2||"sin" as in "sincerely"|
|Sin3||"sin" as in "sinful"; "Singapore"|
|Un1||"aunt" with silent "t"|
|Un2||"un" in "understanding"; "umbrella"|
|Un3||"un" as in "under"|
|Meare1||"melt" with silent "lt"|
|Meare2||"mel" in "Melbourne" with silent "l"|
|Meare3||"mare" of "nightmare"|
|Tain1||"taint" with silent "t"|
|Tain2||"tain" as in "Captain"|
|Tain3||"tain" as in "maintain"|
|Bine1||"Bryant" without "r"|
|Bine2||as in "carbine"|
|Bine3||as in "combine"|
|Dome1||as in "don't"|
|Dome2||close to "dominate"|
|Dome3||as in "dome"|
|Toon1||"doont" in "couldn't"|
|Toon2||"mon" in "monastery"|
|Toon3||"oon" as in "cartoon"|
|Koun1||"count" with silent "t"|
|Koun2||"coun" in "counter-strike"|
|Koun3||"coun" as in "counsel"|
|ate||cake, jade, eight, paid, bake|
|et||wet, set, mad, yet|
|oot||cook, put, look|
|out||out, south, mouse, doubt|
|ike/ite||sight, pipe, night, dice, like|
|ut||up, nut, sucks|
|oat||oat, coat, goat, soak|
|it||it, pit, sit|
Lesson 56: Burmese words with Single Tones: 'Book', 'Cook', 'Look' Group
Vocabulary list continues for single tone words that sound like 'Book', 'Cook', 'Hook', 'Look', 'Put', 'Soup', 'Took', 'Wood'. Those words are romanized with oot ending for consistency, so when you see the romanization boot, it should be pronounced like the English word book with silent k, and poot should be read as the english word put.
Most of the words in this category will have ွ | wa1-hsweare3 at the bottom of the character or modified consonant character. The exception is the character ဝ | Wa1 itself.
Most words will end with either တ် | ta1-thut or ပ် | pa1-thut on the right side.
For example, ဘွတ် | boot in the word ဘွတ်ဖိနပ် | boot pfa1-nut is the Burmese translation of English word boots, although Burmese people will pronounce it more like "book" with silent "k".
Some of those single tone words sound and romanized like existing English words. If you are viewing this page with the google translator on top of the page, beware that those words meant to show how they sound in English will be translated into your language, which was not the intention. Be sure to refer back to the original English page to see how the words sound.
Oot | အွတ်
ကွတ် | koot
- [English] quart.
ကွပ် | koot
- (1) to supervise as in ကွပ်ကဲ | koot-keare3; to discipline and admonish as in
ကွပ်ကဲ ဆုံးမ | koot-keare3 hsone3-ma1.
(2) to sew linings around the four edges of mats and blankets.
(3) low wooden bed as in ကွပ်ပျစ် |
(4) to execute someone by the order of the king in the old days as in ကွပ်မျက် |
(5) castrate as in သင်းကွပ် |
ကျွတ် | kjoot
- (1) to be free from fetters. E.g.,
ဝဋ်ကျွတ်သွားပြီ။ | woot kjoot thwa3 byi2 - [Buddhism]
to be released from lower realm of existence and sufferings in the rounds of re-births. In general colloquial sense, it refers to
be finally freed from responsibilities and bondage or association. (2) drop off; wardrobe malfunction. E.g.,
ဟာ ... ပုဆိုးကျွတ်သွားပြီ။ | ha2 ... pa1-hso3 kjoot thwa3 byi2
- Oops, the Sarong (for male) has dropped-off! (3) personal freedom and space; unhindered; clearance, for example, between two vehicles with
ample space as in
လွတ်လွတ်ကျွတ်ကျွတ် | loot-loot kjoot kjoot - .
(4) blood-sucking leech that infests the grassy land in the rainy season. (5) [English] inner tube of car tire.
ကြွပ် | kjoot
- (1) brittle in the same sense as
ဆတ် | hsut - but the latter is used for
brittleness in branches of certain types of trees. (2) crispy. E.g.,
အာလူးကြော် ဘယ်လိုနေလဲ၊ ကြွပ်ရဲ့လား။ |
ah2-lu3-kjau2 beare2 lo2 nay2 leare3. kjoot yeare1 la3 - How are the potato fries? Crispy enough?
ကြွပ် | joot
-(1) callus. (2) crust at the bottom of cooking pot hardened by heat as in ကြွပ်တက် |
ခွပ် | khoot
- cocks and peacocks to fight each other using claws and beaks.
ချွတ် | choot
- (1) to take off clothings, hat, or footwear.
ကဲ၊ အင်္ကျီချွတ် | keare3, ain3-ji2 choot
- OK now, take-off your shirt. (2) to scrape and clean as in
ကြေးချွတ် | ji3 choot.
(3) a glitch; something is wrong, e.g., machine that is not in good order as in
ချွတ်ယွင်း | choot-ywin3. Related word:
ချွတ်ယွင်းချက် | choot-ywin3 chet - error or weakness in
ideology or workmanship.
ဂျွတ် | joot
- [infrequent use] itch.
စွတ် | soot
- (1) wet; soak as in
စွတ်စို | soot-so2. Related word:
စွတ်စိုထိုင်းမှိုင်း | soot-so2 htine3-hmine3 - gloomy and
wet weather condition. (2) sled; sleigh as in စွတ်ဖား |
soot-pfa3. (3) heedlessly.
စွပ် | soot
- (1) to insert. (2) to put on socks, gloves, stockings, finger ring, mask, T-shirt. Related words:
- စွပ်ကျယ် | soot-kjeare2 - T-shirt.
- လက်စွပ် | let-soot - finger ring.
ဆွတ် | hsoot
- (1) to pick flower, fruits, and fresh leaves.
(2) to win a title, or trophy. E.g., | -
စကြဝဠာ အလှမယ် သရဖူ ကို ဆွတ်ခူးခဲ့သည်။
set-kja2-wa1-la2 a-hla1-meare2 tha1-ra1-pfu2 go2 hsoot khu3 kheare1 dthi2 - (She) won the crown (title)
of Ms. Universe.
ဇွတ် | zoot
- (1) to pursue something with stubborn
persistence as in ဇွတ်တရွတ် | zoot ta1-yoot.
(2) to tolerate the pain and persist despite knowing that the action brings unfavorable circumstances as in
ဇွတ်မှိတ် | zoot hmate.
ညွတ် | nyoot
- (1) tree branches to droop. (2) lean towards certain views or personality as in
တိမ်းညွတ် | tain3-nyoot. E.g.,
မဆွတ်ခင်ကညွတ် | ma1-hsoot khin2 gah1 nyoot - a young
maiden falling in love for someone is compared to a branch of flower drooping down for the picker.
ညွှတ် | hnyoot
- (1) to bend a flexible branch or stick. (2) a noose or a snare constructed with such triggering mechanism as in
ညွှတ်ကွင်း | hnyoot-kwin3.
တွတ် | toot
- (1) to be talkative, especially after
a child learns to talk as in တတွတ်တွတ် |
ta1 doot-doot. E.g.,
ဒီကလေး စကား တတွတ်တွတ် ပြောနေတယ်။ |
de2 kha1-lay3 za1-ga3 ta1 doot-doot pyau3 nay2 deare2 -
(The child) is chattering non-stop. (2) to blow a bugle as in
ခရာတွတ် | kha1-ya2 toot.
တွပ် | toot
- fish to nibble the food.
ထွဋ် | htoot
- part of some Burmese names as in တင်ထွဋ် | tin2 htoot (male), and
သျှားထွဋ် အိန္ဒြာ | sha3 htoot ain2-dra2, Sharr Htut Eaindra (female), Miss Myanmar 2014 who participated in the 2015 Miss Universe contest.
ထွတ် | htoot
- topmost; supreme position. Related words:
- အထွတ်အထိပ် | a-htoot a-htate - culmination, climax, peak.
- အထွတ်အမြတ် | a-htoot a-myut - exalted position.
ပွတ် | poot
- (1) to rub. (2) to turn the lathe in order
to make the pot, etc. round and smooth. (3) scrub as in ပွတ်တိုက် |
poot tite. Related word: သွားပွတ်တံ |
dtha1-boot tan2 - toothbrush.
ပြွတ် | pyoot
- (1) clustered; too crowded as in ပြွတ်သိပ် |
pyoot-thate. (2) syringe; syringe-mechanism toy
that draws water into the cylinder to be squirted in Myanmar Water Festival as in ပြွတ်တံ |
ဖွတ် | pfoot
- (1) monitor lizard. (2) lousy; useless person as in ဖွတ်ကျား |
ဗွတ် | boot
- prefix for certain types of songbirds such as nightingales. Examples:
- ဗွတ်ကလုံ | boot ka1-lone2 - red-whiskered nightingale.
- ဗွတ်ကုလား | boot ka1-la2 - Eurasian jay.
- ဗွတ်ဖင်နီ |
boot ka1-la2 - red-vented nightingale.
ဘွတ် | boot
- [English] boots; shoes as in
ဘွတ်ဖိနပ် | boot pfa1-nut.
In romanization, boot should be pronounced like book with silent
မွတ် | moot
- (1) hungry; starving as in ဆာလောင်မွတ်သိပ် | hsa2-loun2 moot-thate. (2) smooth
as in ချောမွတ် | chau3-moot. Other usage:
မွတ်စလင် | mu2-sa1-lin2
မွှတ် | hmoot
- (1) fluent. E.g., ဒီလူ မြန်မာစကားပြောတာ မွှတ်နေတာပဲ။ |
de2 lu2 myan2-ma2 za1-ga3 pyau3 ta2 hmoot nay2 da2 beare3 - This man speaks Burmese fluently.
ယွတ် | yoot
- [infrequent use] sway; deviate.
ရွတ် | yoot
- (1) recite as in
ရွတ်ဆို | yoot-hso2 or
ရွတ်ဖတ် | yoot-pfut. (2) tendon as in
အရွတ် | a-yoot. (3) scar tissue as in
အမာရွတ် | a-ma2-yoot or
အနာရွတ် | a-na2-yoot. Other usage:
ကမာရွတ် | ka1-ma2-yoot - Name for a neighborhood
also known as လှည်းတန်း |
hleare3-dan3 in the vicinity of the University of Yangon.
ရွှတ် | shoot
- (1) jest as in နောက်ရွှတ် | nout-shoot. (2) in a flash of time as in
ရွှတ်ခနဲ | shoot kha1 neare3.
လွတ် | loot
- (1) be free from as in လွတ်ကျွတ် | loot-kjoot.
- လွတ်ငြိမ်းချမ်းသာခွင့် | loot-nyain3 chan3-tha2 khwin1 - amnesty.
- လွတ်ပေါက် | loot-pout - escape route; loophole
- လွတ်မြောက်ရေး | loot-myout-yay3 - liberation; emancipation
- လွတ်လပ်ရေး |
loot-lut-yay3 - independence
လွှတ် | hloot
- (1) to release. (2) to send someone for help or service. E.g.,
လူတယောက် လွှတ်လိုက်။ | lu2 ta1 yout hloot lite - Send someone.
Other usage: လွှတ်တော် | hloot-tau2 - legislative body in
ဝဋ် | woot
- [Buddhism] retributions or consequences of misdeeds in the past. Related word:
ဝဋ်လည် | woot-leare3 - suffer the similar consequences as
one's negative actions or bad "karma" in the past.
ဝတ် | woot -
(1) wear; put on clothes, shoes, etc.. Related words:
- ဝတ်စားတန်ဆာ | woot-sa3 da1-za2 - dress and ornaments.
- ဝတ်စုံ | woot-sone2 - uniform; suit.
- ဝတ်ရုံ | woot-yone2 or ဝတ်လုံ | woot-lone2 - official robe; University graduation gown, and ဝတ်လုံလိုက် | woot-lone2 lite is to practice law.
- ဝတ်လစ်စားလစ် |
woot-lit sa1-lit - naked; nude; disrobed.
- ဝတ်ဆံဖို | woot-hsun2 pfo2 - stamen.
- ဝတ်ဆံမ | woot-hsun2 ma1 - stigma.
- ဝတ်မှုန် | woot-hmone2 - pollen.
- ဝတ်မှုန်ကူး | woot-hmone2 ku3 - pollinate.
- ဝတ်ရည် |
woot-yay2 - nectar.
သွတ် | thoot
- stuffed into the container and enclosed as in စည်သွတ်ဘူး |
si2-thoot bu3 - preserved food in a tin can.
သွပ် | thoot
- zinc. Related word: သွပ်ပြား | thoot pya3 - galvanized (coated with zinc)
iron sheet used as roofs in some houses.
အွတ် | oot
- crow of a Burmese cock as in အောက်အီးအီးအွတ် | out-e3-e3-oot -
'cock-a-doodle-doo' by English or American cocks.