Learn Myanmar Language with Burmese Script, MP3 audio, PDF and unique grammar color-coding: nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, conjunctions, particles, postpositional markers, interjections.
|Ah1||"a" in "art" with silent "rt"|
|Ah2||"ar" in "Argentina" with silent "r"|
|Ah3||"ar" in "Artist" with slilent "r"|
|De1||"de" in "deep" with silent "p"|
|De2||"de" as in "demote"; "demand"|
|De3||"dee" as in "deer"; "decent"|
|Ko1||"colt" with silent "lt"|
|Ko2||as in "co-author"; "cocaine"|
|Ko3||"cold" wit silent "ld"|
|Yu1||"u" in "Youth" with silent "th"|
|Yu2||"u" as in "university"; "utensil"|
|Yu3||"u" as in "user"; "Unix"|
|Shan1||as in "shunt" with silent "t"|
|Shan2||"shun" as in "chandelier"|
|Shan3||as in "shun"|
|Au1||as in "auction"|
|Au2||as in "Australia";"auditor"|
|Au3||as in "August"|
|May1||"maize" with silent "ze"|
|May2||"may" as in "May I?"|
|May3||"ay" in "amazing"|
|Sin1||"sink" with silent "k"|
|Sin2||"sin" as in "sincerely"|
|Sin3||"sin" as in "sinful"; "Singapore"|
|Un1||"aunt" with silent "t"|
|Un2||"un" in "understanding"; "umbrella"|
|Un3||"un" as in "under"|
|Meare1||"melt" with silent "lt"|
|Meare2||"mel" in "Melbourne" with silent "l"|
|Meare3||"mare" of "nightmare"|
|Tain1||"taint" with silent "t"|
|Tain2||"tain" as in "Captain"|
|Tain3||"tain" as in "maintain"|
|Bine1||"Bryant" without "r"|
|Bine2||as in "carbine"|
|Bine3||as in "combine"|
|Dome1||as in "don't"|
|Dome2||close to "dominate"|
|Dome3||as in "dome"|
|Toon1||"doont" in "couldn't"|
|Toon2||"mon" in "monastery"|
|Toon3||"oon" as in "cartoon"|
|Koun1||"count" with silent "t"|
|Koun2||"coun" in "counter-strike"|
|Koun3||"coun" as in "counsel"|
|ate||cake, jade, eight, paid, bake|
|et||wet, set, mad, yet|
|oot||cook, put, look|
|out||out, south, mouse, doubt|
|ike/ite||sight, pipe, night, dice, like|
|ut||up, nut, sucks|
|oat||oat, coat, goat, soak|
|it||it, pit, sit|
Kjite Hti3 Yo3 | ကျိုက်ထီးရိုး
In Mon language, ကျိုက် | kjite means stupa or Pagoda, and Kyaikhtiyo is the most well-known.
Kyaikhtiyo Pagoda, situated at 1,100 meter (3,600 ft) above the sea level, is one of major tourist attractions and a pilgrimage site for Myanmar people.
The pagoda is built on a boulder hanging precariously at the edge of the vertical ridge.
The mysterious boulder is about 25 feet high and 50 feet in circumference.
The base camp 210 kilometer (130 miles) away from Yangon is now accessible by air-conditioned weekend train as an alternative to a five hour drive from Yangon.
There is a 11 kilometer (6.8 mile) hiking trek from the base camp as well as a paved road to the bus terminal closer to the hotels and the Pagoda at top of the mountain.
Lesson 52: Burmese words with Single Tones 'Kite', 'Like', 'Mike' Group
Vocabulary list continues for single tone word that sound like 'Kite', 'Like', 'Mike'. Those words should be pronounced without closing consonants. So, when the word is romanized as 'like', do not stress on closing 'k' sound.
Most of the words in this category are spelled with ိ | lone3-ji3-tin2 on top of the character, followed by ု | ta1-choun3-ngin2 at the bottom, and က် | ka1 thut at the right side.
Some of those single tone words sound and romanized like existing English words. If you are viewing this page with google translator, beware that those words meant to show how they sound in English will be translated into your language, which was not the intention. Be sure to refer back to the original English page to see how the words sound.
Ike | အိုက်
ကိုက် | kite
- (1) bite. (2) cut with scissors. (3) ache and pain. (4) suitable. (5) right amount. (6) profitable as in
တွက်ခြေကိုက် | twet-chay2 kite. (7) yard = 3 feet.
(1) ကိုက်လန် | kite lan2 - kai lun (Chinese mustard 芥兰.)
ကိုက်လန်ကြော် | kite-lun2 kjau2
- fried kailan.
ကျိုက် | kjite
- (1) [Mon Language] pagoda. E.g., ကျိုက်ထီးရိုး | kjite hti3 yo3 -
Kyaikhtiyo Pagoda. (2) ခါးတောင်းကျိုက် |
ga1-doun3 kjite - Burmese male to tuck
the Longyi for physical activities by folding the length of the front portion between thighs and tuck in at the back side thus thighs are
exposed as if wearing shorts. (3) boiling hot and bubbling up with effervescent as in
ကျိုက်ကျိုက်ဆူ | kjite kjite hsu2.
ကြိုက် | kjite
- (1) like something or someone. (2) happen to be; meet by chance; occur at the same time as in
ကြုံကြိုက် | kjone2-kjite.
ခိုက် | khite
- (1) to cause damage as in ထိခိုက် | hti1-khite. (2) 'while' word to mean
during some kind of activity. E.g., သွားခိုက်လာခိုက် |
thwa3-khite la2-khite - while going and coming. (3) shivering with cold as in
ခိုက်ခိုက်တုန် | khite khite tone2.
ခြိုက် | chite
- (1) concave. (2) fond of something or someone; to like as in
နှစ်ခြိုက် | hnit chite.
(3) comfortable and enjoyable (usually sleep, i.e., sleep well) as in
နှစ်နှစ်ခြိုက်ခြိုက် | hnit-hnit chite-chite.
ဂိုက် | gite
- [English] guise. dress up and pretentious as in ဂိုက်ထုတ် | gite htoat.
ဂျိုက် | jite
- [English] jack (a tool for lifting a car when changing tire.)
ငိုက် | ngite
- head to droop due to drowsiness or sleepiness.
စိုက် | site
- (1) cultivate crops, vegetable, and trees by sowing seeds, stems, etc. in the soil. Related word: စိုက်ပျိုးရေး |
site-pyo3-yay3 - agriculture. (2) sharp object penetrated or lodged into something. (3) put an effort as in
လုံ့လစိုက် | lone1-la1 site. (4) invest capital, principal,
amount of money. (5) temporarily loan the money for someone's use.
ဆိုက် | hsite
- aircraft to land; ship to make port call; vehicle on the road to park. Related word: ဆိုက်ဆိုက်မြိုက်မြိုက် |
hsite-hsite myite-myite - reach the destination without any problem; smooth-sailing. Other usage:
ဆိုက်ကား | hsite ka3 - [English: side + car]
tricycle / trishaw with the capacity to carry two passengers sitting back to back at the side of the pedaler.
ဆိုက်ကားဆရာ | hsite ka3 hsa1-ya2 -
- trishaw driver.
ဆိုဒ် | hsite
- corrupted English word 'size' commonly used commercially such as by photo studios.
တိုက် | tite
- (1) collide as in ကားတိုက် | ka3 tite - automobile collision; car accident.
(2) wind to blow as in လေတိုက် | lay2 tite.
(3) to brush as in သွား တိုက် | thwa3 tite
- brush teeth.(4) attack as in စစ်တိုက် | sit tite - engage in war.
- တိုက်စစ် | tite-sit - offensive play in game or to attack in war.
- တိုက်စစ်မှုး | tite-sit hmu3 - the captain of the soccer team.
- တိုက်လေယာဉ် | tite lay2-yin2 - fighter plane.
- တိုက်ရေယာဉ် | tite yay2-yin2 - gunboat.
- တိုက်သင်္ဘော | tite thin3-bau3 - battleship.
တိုက် | tite
- (1) brick building which can be a house or high-rise apartment as in တိုက်ခန်း | tite khan3.
(2) building with specific function. E.g., ဆေးတိုက် |
hsay3 dite = (medicine + building) = clinic. (3) continent as in
အာရှတိုက်သား | ah2-sha1 tite tha3 -
(Asia + continent + dweller) = Asian. Related word: တိုက်ချင်းပစ်ဒုံးပျံ | tite-chin3-pyit dome3-pyan2 -
Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM). Other usages:
ထိုက် | htite
- deserving as in ထိုက်တန် | htite tan2.
ဒိုက် | dite
- a type of wild rice growing naturally along the edges of lakes and rivers.
နှိုက် | hnite
- put the hand into pocket, bag, etc., to take something out. Related words:
- မဲနှိုက် | meare3 hnite - pick the lucky-draw.
- ခါးပိုက်နှိုက် | ga1-bite hnite - pickpocket.
၌ | HNITE
- [literary] 'at'; location indictator similar to colloquial မှာ | hma2.
ပိုက် | pike
- (1) hold in the arm close to the body. (2) net as in ပိုက်ကွန် | pike-koon2.
(3) [English] pipe as in ရေပိုက် | yay2-pike - water
pipe. Other usage: ပိုက်ဆံ | pike-hsun2 - money.
ပြိုက် | byite
- continuously and profusely. E.g., ချွေးတပြိုက်ပြိုက်ကျ |
chway3 da1-byite-byite kja1 - sweat heavily.
ဖိုက် | pfite
- [English] fight. Such English words can be sandwiched between Burmese phrases. Examples:
- ဖိုက်တင်ကား | pfite tin2 ka3 - action movie.
- ဗျူးကောင်းတဲ့ နေရာမှာ ဖိုက်ကြစို့။ |
byu3 koun3 deare1 nay2-ya2 hma2 pfite kja1 so1
- Let's fight where the background scenery view is good.
ဗိုက် | bite -
(1) stomach; belly. E.g.,
ဗိုက်ဆာတယ်ဗျို့။ | bite hsa2 deare2 byo1 - (stomach + to be
hungry + ending word + proclamation) = I am so hungry. Related word:
ဗိုက်နာ | bite na2
- stomach-ache. (2) pregnant as in ဗိုက်ကြီး | bite kji3.
(3) beer-belly as in ဗိုက်ရွှဲ | bite shweare3.
ဗျိုက် | byite
- wet land with grassy vegetation and shrubs as in ဗျိုက်တော | byite tau3.
မိုက် | mite
- (1) dark in the night as in မှောင်မိုက် | hmoun2 mite. (2) stupid and foolish
as in မိုက်မဲ | mite meare3. (3) rude as in
မိုက်ရိုင်း | mite yine3. (4) [slang] equivalent to
American slang "cool". E.g., မိုက်တယ်ကွ။ | mite deare2 kwa1 - impressive!
(5) [English] microphone.
မြှိုက် | hmyite
- burn over the fire; scorched.
ရိုက် | yite
- (1) hit; strike; physical punishment such as caning. (2) take picture, video, movie as in ဓာတ်ပုံရိုက် |
- take photograph. (3) play golf, tennis, badminton, table-tennis etc., that involves hitting the ball or shuttle with the club, racket, paddle, or bet.
ဂေါက်သီး ရိုက် | gout-thi3 yite
- play golf. (4) play cards as in ဖဲ ရိုက် | pfeare3-yite.
ရှိုက် | shite
- (1) sob as in ငိုရှိုက် | ngo2 shite. (2) breath in as in
ရှူရှိုက် | shu2 shite. Related word:
အရှိုက်ထိ | a-shite hti1 - receive a physical
blow or get hit in the vulnerable spot.
လိုက် | lite
- (1) to follow; to come along; go along. E.g.,
လိုက်မလား။ | lite ma1 la3 - Do you want to come along
(with us)? or လိုက်ခဲ့ | lite kheare1
- Come along with me. Related word: လိုက်နာ | lite na2 - obey. (follow + listen to advice.)
(2) hunt as in အမဲလိုက် | a-meare3 lite.
(3) become a professional by following the path and practice. E.g.,
ရှေ့နေလိုက် | shay1-nay2 lite - make a living as a lawyer.
(4) indulge by going after the sense pleasure. E.g.,
မိန်းမလိုက်စားတယ်။ | main3-mah1 lite sa3 deare2 -
(He is) a womanizer.
(5) elope with a man as in ခိုးရာလိုက် | kho3 ya2 lite.
(6) compatible; go well together. E.g., အင်္ကျီအဖြူနဲ့ ဘောင်းဘီအညိုနဲ့ လိုက်တယ် |
ain3-ji2 a-pfyu2 neare1 boun3-be2 a-nyo2 neare1 lite deare2
- White shirt goes well with brown trousers. (7) a particle used for emphasis "so much" or extreme to such a degree as in
လိုက်တာ | lite da2. E.g.,
ပူလိုက်အိုက်လိုက်တာ။ | pu2 lite ike lite da2 - The weather is
so hot. လှလိုက်တာ | hla1 lite ta2
- It's so beautiful! (8) verb-suffix particle word to give green light or go ahead to do something. E.g.,
စားလိုက် | sa3 lite
- Go ahead and eat it all. (9) verb-suffix particle word to indicate something did or did not happen. E.g.,
မြင်လိုက်လား | myin2 lite la3
- Did you see that? Other usages:
လှိုက် | hlite
- (1) unsettled feeling sometimes accompanied by excitement or fear as in လှိုက်ဖို | hlite pfo2.
(2) whole-heartedly as in လှိုက်လှိုက်လှဲလှဲ |
hlite-hlite hleare3-hleare3 or လှိုက်လှဲစွာ |
ဝိုက် | wite
- (1) does not follow a straight path but curved such as a curved ball in baseball or freekick in soccer by some professionals. (2) indirect and tactful in speech as in
သွယ်ဝိုက် | thweare2-wite.
ဝှိုက် | white
as in စနိုးဝှိုက် | sa1-no3 white - [English] Snow White.
သိုက် | thite
- (1) group; bunch. (2) nest as in အသိုက် | a-thite. (3) celebration or festival that is
well-attended and alive with a teeming crowd as in သိုက်မြိုက်စည်ကား |
thite-myite si2-ga3. (4) mineral deposit as in သတ္တုသိုက် |
thut-tu1 thite. (5) hunt or dig for hidden treasure as in သိုက်တူး |
ဟိုက် | hite
- (1) a shirt or dress that shows the cleavage as in ရင်ဟိုက် အင်္ကျီ | yin2-hite ain3-ji2.
(2) exclamation equivalent to "Gosh!" or "Oh, my God!" Other Usage: ဟိုက်ဒရိုဂျင် |
hite-da1-ro2-jin2 - [English] Hydrogen.
အိုက် | ike
- feeling warm and stuffy due to hot weather. Other usages:
- အိုက်စကရင် | ike-sa1-ka1-rin2 - [English] ice-cream.
- အိုက်တင် | ike-tin2 - [English] acting. E.g.,
အိုက်တင်မခံနေနဲ့။ | ike-tin2 ma1-khan2 nay2 neare1 -
Don't be so modest. That phrase is used to tell someone that if he really wants something, stop pretending like he does not.
Other Usage: အိုက်စလန် | ike sa1 lunn - Iceland.