Learn Myanmar Language in conversational and literary form. Learn to speak and read Burmese. The Free Online Colloquial Burmese (Myanmar language) lessons include Burmese script, MP3 audio, PDF files and easy Burmese grammar study materials with color-coded parts of speech: nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, conjunctions, particles, postpositional markers, and interjections.
|Ah1||"a" in "art" with silent "rt"|
|Ah2||"ar" in "Argentina" with silent "r"|
|Ah3||"ar" in "Artist" with slilent "r"|
|De1||"de" in "deep" with silent "p"|
|De2||"de" as in "demote"; "demand"|
|De3||"dee" as in "deer"; "decent"|
|Ko1||"colt" with silent "lt"|
|Ko2||as in "co-author"; "cocaine"|
|Ko3||"cold" wit silent "ld"|
|Yu1||"u" in "Youth" with silent "th"|
|Yu2||"u" as in "university"; "utensil"|
|Yu3||"u" as in "user"; "Unix"|
|Shan1||as in "shunt" with silent "t"|
|Shan2||"shun" as in "chandelier"|
|Shan3||as in "shun"|
|Au1||as in "auction"|
|Au2||as in "Australia";"auditor"|
|Au3||as in "August"|
|May1||"maize" with silent "ze"|
|May2||"may" as in "May I?"|
|May3||"ay" in "amazing"|
|Sin1||"sink" with silent "k"|
|Sin2||"sin" as in "sincerely"|
|Sin3||"sin" as in "sinful"; "Singapore"|
|Un1||"aunt" with silent "t"|
|Un2||"un" in "understanding"; "umbrella"|
|Un3||"un" as in "under"|
|Meare1||"melt" with silent "lt"|
|Meare2||"mel" in "Melbourne" with silent "l"|
|Meare3||"mare" of "nightmare"|
|Tain1||"taint" with silent "t"|
|Tain2||"tain" as in "Captain"|
|Tain3||"tain" as in "maintain"|
|Bine1||"Bryant" without "r"|
|Bine2||as in "carbine"|
|Bine3||as in "combine"|
|Dome1||as in "don't"|
|Dome2||close to "dominate"|
|Dome3||as in "dome"|
|Toon1||"doont" in "couldn't"|
|Toon2||"mon" in "monastery"|
|Toon3||"oon" as in "cartoon"|
|Koun1||"count" with silent "t"|
|Koun2||"coun" in "counter-strike"|
|Koun3||"coun" as in "counsel"|
|ate||cake, jade, eight, paid, bake|
|et||wet, set, mad, yet|
|oot||cook, put, look|
|out||out, south, mouse, doubt|
|ike/ite||sight, pipe, night, dice, like|
|ut||up, nut, sucks|
|oat||oat, coat, goat, soak|
|it||it, pit, sit|
Lesson 38: Burmese words with vowel 'U'
The list of Burmese words with the vowel 'U' sound are given below in Burmese alphabetical order in the same sequence as in Myanmar dictionary.
Except for the stand-alone character ဥ | u1, the words in this category are spelled with ု | ta1-choun3-ngin2 below the character to get the first tone, and ူ | hna1-choun3-ngin2 to get the second tone.
To further change into the third tone, add an additional း | shay1-gah1-pout at the right side.
For the stand-alone character ဥ | u1, the third tone is possible by adding ီ | lone3-ji3-tin + downward curved sun2-khut inside lone3-ji3-tin. း | shay1-ga1-pout is then added at the right to spell ဦး | u3, which means, 'Mr.'.
U1 - U2 - U3 | ဥ - အူ - ဦး
ကု | ku1 -
treatment to cure disease or illness.
ဆရာဝန်ခေါ်ပြီး ဆေးကုရတယ်။ |
hsa1-ya2-woon2 khau2 pyi3 hsay3 ku1 yah1 deare2 - (we) had to call a doctor for treatment. (2) to compensate
for, or to negate the bad deeds. E.g., ကုသိုလ် |
ku1 tho2 - merit.
ကူ | ku2 -
(1) to help. (2) chirp; tweet or a call of
the bird such as that of a cuckoo.
ကူး | ku3 -
(1) to cross the road. E.g.,
lun3 ku3 pfo1 lo2 deare2 - You need to cross the road. (2) to make a copy or photocopy. E.g.,
da2 go2 mate-tu2 ku3 pay3 ba2 - Please photocopy this for me. (3) To swim. E.g.,
yay2 ku3 tut tha1 la3 - Do you know how to swim? (4) to change or transform into something new. E.g.,
hnit thit ku3 - New Year. (5) transmission of contagious disease. E.g.,
yau3-ga2 ku3 lain1 meare2 - You will get the disease. (Be careful with unhygienic food, etc..)
ကျူ | kju2
- (1) A type of reed.
E.g., ကျူထရံ |
kju2 hta1-yan2 - wall of a hut made of reed matting. (2) [English] cue used in billiards as in
ကျူတံ | kju2 tan2.
ကျူး | kju3
- (1) to trespass; to transgress as in
kju3 kjau2. E.g., ကျူးကျော်မြေ |
kju3 kjau2 myay2 - the land where squatters are built. (2) to break the law as in
kju3 loon2. (3) to sing as in သီကျူး |
ကြူ | kju2
- (1) to be fragrant as in
thin3 kju2. E.g., ရနံ့သင်းကြူသော နှင်းဆီးပန်း။ |
ya1-nun1 thin3 kju2 dthau3 hnin3-hsi2 pan3 - sweet-scented rose. (2) part of female Burmese names as
in ကြူကြူခိုင် |
kju2 kju2 khine2 - Kyu Kyu Khine.
ကြူး | kju3
- unrestrained. ဒီလူအစားကြူးတယ်။ |
de2 lu2 a-sa3 kju3 deare2 - This man is unrestrained in taking food.
ခု | khu1
- (1) single digit number as in ခု၊ ဆယ်၊ ရာ၊ ထောင် |
khu1, hseare2, ya2, htoun2 - 1X, 10X, 100X, 1,000X. (2) measure word used for objects. E.g.,
beare2 hna1 khu1 shi1 leare3 - How many units are there?
(3) to secure, raise, prop up, or support with
a block. E.g., ကားဘီးကို အုတ်ခဲနဲ့ခုထား။ |
ka3-bain3 go2 oat-kheare3 neare1 khu1 hta3 - Block the wheel of the car with the brick.
(4) offended. E.g., သူစိတ်ခုသွားတယ်။ |
thu2 sate khu1 thwa3 deare2 - He was offended. (5) resist; defend as in
ခုခံ | khu1 khan2.
(6) mid-way as in ခုလတ် | khu1-lut.
E.g., လမ်းခုလတ် | lun3 khu1-lut
- during the journey.
ခု | khu1
- [colloquial] now; at the present time. E.g.,
အခု လာခဲ့မယ်။ | a-khu1 la2 kheare1 meare2 - I will
come now. Releted words:
- ခုလေးတင် | khu1-lay3-tin2 - just now.
- ခုထက်ထိ | khu1-htet-hti1 - till now.
- အခုတလော |
a-khu1-ta1-lau3 - recently; lately.
ခု | khoon2 - as in
ခုနစ် | khoon2 nit
ခူ | khu2 -
caterpillar (larva of butterfly or moth.)
ခူး | khu3
- (1) to pluck fruits, flowers or leaves from a tree. (2) to scoop cooked rice from rice cooker into individual plates. E.g.,
hta1-min3 khu3 hta3 deare2 - The meal is ready!
ချူ | chu2
- (1) to pluck fruits or flowers using တံချူ | da1-ju2 - a long bamboo pole with
its tip cut into a slot for twisting branches. (2) to swindle money from someone for ongoing basis.
ဒီကောင် အဘွားကြီးဆီက ပိုက်ဆံချူစားနေကြပဲ။ |
de2 koun2 a-pfwa3-ji3 hsi2 gah1 pike-hsan2 chu2 sa3 nay2 ja1 beare3 - That fellow is cheating
money from the old woman as usual. (3) jingle bell made of bamboo for bulls and horses. (4) to be frequently ill as in
ချူချာ | chu2 cha2 . (5) to use enema as
in ဝမ်းချူမယ်။ | woon3 chu2 meare2 - We will use
ဂူ | gu2
- (1) cave; cavern. (2) tomb.
ဂျူး | ju3
-(1) Jewish people also known as
ယဟူဒီ | ya1-hu2-de2 . (2) a type of edible
root as in ဂျူးမြစ် ju3 myit.
စု | su1
- (1) to live or contribute as a group, or to collect into a pile. Examples:
- ပုလင်းအခွံတွေစုထား။ | pa1-lin3 a-khoon2 dway2 su1 hta3 - Save the empty bottles.
- စုပြီးဝယ်ကြတယ်။ | su1 pyi3 weare2 ja1 deare2 - to purchase something as a group.
- စုစုပေါင်း |
su1 su1 poun3 - the sum.
စူ | su2
- (1) to protrude out. E.g., စူဆောင့်ပြနေတယ်။ |
su2-hsoun1 pya1 nay2 deare2 - to show resentment or dislike by protrusion of the lips ( to pout) and
stamping on the ground.
စူး | su3
- (1) to be penetrated by a sharp object such as a thorn. E.g.,
chay2-htout hsu3 su3 nay2 deare2 - There's a thorn in the foot. (2) inability to see due to glaring
light. ကားမီးက မျက်စိစူးသွားတာပဲ။ |
ka3 mi3 gah1 myet-si1 su3 thwa3 da2 beare2 - the headlights of the car are so blinding to the eyes.
(3) tingling or pricking sensation in the mouth caused by carbonated drinks. E.g.,
sa1-pa1-yite gah1 a-tau2 su3 deare2 - Sprite gives pricking (soda) sensation.
(4) high-pitched sharp voice as in
အသံစူးတယ်။ | a-thun2 su3 deare2 - sharp vocal.
ဆု | hsu1
- (1) prize; reward. E.g.,
thu2 pa1-hta1-ma1 hsu1 yah1 deare2 - He has got the first prize. (2) to pray as in
ဆုတောင်း | hsu1 toun3.
ဆူ | hsu2
- (1) to reach the boiling point.
E.g., ရေနွေးအိုးဆူနေပြီ။ |
yay2-nway3-oh3 hsu2 nay2 byi2 - Water in the kettle is boiling. (2) to scold. E.g.,
hsa1-ya2 hsu2 lain1 meare2 - Teacher will scold us. (3) less common usage for plump; fat.
(4) measure word for number of pagodas or sacred items. E.g.,
pfa1-ya3 ko3 hsu2 - nine pagodas.
ဆူး | hsu3
- thorn; spike. E.g., သံဆူးကြိုး |
thun2 hsu3 kjo3 - barbed wire.
တု | tu1
- to imitate. E.g., အတုအပ သတိထားပါ။ |
a-tu1-a-pa1 tha1-di1 hta3 ba2 - Beware of imitation.
တူ | tu2
- (1) to be the same; to resemble; identical. E.g.,
da2 neare1 da2 a-tu2-tu2 beare3 - Those two are alike. (2) nephew. (3) hammer. (4) chopsticks.
တူး | tu3
- (1) burned from overcooking.
E.g., အမဲသားဟင်း တူးသွားပြီတော့။ |
a-meare3-tha3 hin3 tu3 thwa3 byi2 tau1 - [colloquial, female] The stewed beef has burned black!
(2) to dig the earth.
ထု | htu1
- (1) to bang with hammer, fist, etc.. (2) to throw with a stone. E.g.,
ka3 hmun2 geare3 htu1 khan2 yah1 deare2 - Someone smashed the car's windshield with a stone. (3) to chisel
off wood or stone to make sculptures. (4) to defend the accusation as in
ထုချေ | htu1 chay2. (4) masses as in
pyi2-thu2 lu2 htu1 - the people.
ထူ | htu2
- (1) thick. E.g.,
ain3-ji2 htu2-htu2 woot - wear thick clothes. (2) to help someone to stand up. E.g.,
ထူပေးပါ။ | htu2 pay3 ba2 -
Please give me a hand to stand up.
(3) to develop a country as in တိုင်းပြည်ကိုထူထောင်ရန် |
tine3-pyi2 go2 htu2-htoun2 yan2 - to build the country.
ထူး | htu3
- (1) to differ from norm especially in positive ways. E.g.,
htu3 cha3 dthau3 - exceptional. (2) to answer the call. E.g.,
ခေါ်ရင် ’ဗျာ’ လို့ထူးပါ။ |
khau2 yin2 'bya2' lo1 htu3 ba2 - Please answer 'Bya2' ('Yes', male term) when called.
ဒု | du1
- abbreviation of ဒုတိယ |
du1-ti1-ya1 - second; second in command. E.g.,
du1 thun2-ma1-da1 - vice president.
ဒူး | du3
- knee. E.g., ဒူးပွန်းသွားတယ်။ |
du3 poon3 thwa3 deare2 - I have bruises in my knee.
နု | nu1
- (1) soft and tender. (2) vegetables,
leaves, fruits, and buds of flowers before ripen. (3) young; youthful look. (4) light in color as in
a-sain3 nu1 youn2 - light green color. (5) [slang] inexperienced as opposed to
wa2 yin1 thu2 - old-timer. E.g., မင်းနုပါသေးတယ်။ |
min3 nu1 ba2 thay3 deare2 - You are still young, kid.
(in the sense: "Don't try to double-cross me the old hand.") (6) part of female Burmese names as in
may2 than3 nu1 - May Than Nu.
နူ | nu2
- afflicted with leprosy.
နူး | nu3
- tender; cooked until tender. E.g.,
အမဲသားဟင်း မနူးသေးဘူး။ |
a-meare3-tha3 hin3 ma1 nu3 thay3 bu3 - The stewed beef is not tender yet.
ပု | pu1 -
(1) short in stature.
de2 lu2 a-yut pu1 deare2 - That man is short in stature. (2) part of uncommon Burmese names as in
ko2 pu1 - Ko Pu.
ပူ | pu2 -
(1) warm weather; hot in temperature. E.g.,
hin3-yay2 pu2 deare2 - The soup is hot. (2) pepper hot. Use different word for chili. E.g.,
ငရုတ်ကောင်းပူတယ်၊ ငရုတ်သီးစပ်တယ်။ |
nga1-yoat-goun3 pu2 deare2. nga1-yoat-thi3 sut
deare2. - Pepper powder is hot. Chili is hot. (3) anxious
E.g., နောင်ရေးအတွက် စိတ်ပူတယ်။ |
noun2 yay3 a-twet sate pu2 deare2 - I am worried about the future. (4) to pester constantly to get
something, or to get something done as in ပူဆာ |
pu2 za2. (5) bulge; swell outwards as in beer-belly or during pregnancy. Examples:
- ဒီမိန်းမဗိုက်ပူနေတယ်။ | de2 main3-ma1 bite pu2 nay2 deare2 - That woman is pregnant.
- ပူစည်ဖောင်းထဲ လေမှုတ်ထည့်။ |
pu2-si2-boun3 hteare3 lay2 hmoat hteare1 - Blow air inside the balloon.
ပူး | pu3 -
(1) guinea-pig. (2) to be joined or stuck together. (3) be possessed by the supernatural powers and spirits as in
နတ်ကတော်ကို နတ်ပူးနေတယ်။ |
nut-ga1-dau2 go2 nut pu3 nay2 deare2 - The medium is in contact with the spirit "nat".
ပျူ | pyu2 -
(1) Tibet-Myanmar language and the people who
spoke that language in ancient Pyu civilization (the city of Pyay in present day Myanmar) around 400AD. (2) used as spelling for
the English word 'computer' :ကွန်ပျူတာ.
ပြု | pyu1
- (1) to do; to act for certain meritorious deeds. Examples:
- သာသနာပြု | tha2-tha1-na2 pyu1 - missionary.
- ကျောင်းပြု၍လှု၏။ | kjoun3 pyu1 yway1 hlu2 e1 - built a monastery as a charity and donated it to the community of monks.
- ငါးပါးသီလပြုကျင့်ကြပါ။ |
nga3-ba3 thi2-la1 pyu1-kjin1 ja1 ba2 - Please practice and live by the five precepts.
ပြူ | pyu2
- to jut out; to stick out the head. E.g.,
ပြတင်းပေါက်ကနေ ခေါင်းမပြူပါနဲ့။ |
bya1-din3-pout gah1 nay2 goun3 ma1 pyu2 ba2 neare1 - Please don't stick your head out of the window.
ပြူး | pyu3
- bulging eyes as in မျက်ပြူး | myet pyu3.
ဖု | pfu1
- a bump; a lump as in အဖုအကျိတ် |
a-pfu1 a-kjate - bumps and lumps in the body.
ဖူ | pfu2
- to be sufficient as in ဖူလုံ | pfu2 lone2.
ဖူး | pfu3
- (1) to visit a pagoda as in ဘုရားဖူး |
pfa1-ya3 pfu3. E.g.,
ကျိုက်ထီးရိုးသို့ ဘုရားဖူးထွက်ကြစို့။ |
kjite-hti3-yo3 dtho1 pfa1-ya3 pfu3 htwet ja1 zo1 - Let's visit Kyaikhtiyo. (2) behold with
veneration as in ဖူးမြော်မာန်လျှော့ |
pfu3 hmyau2 mun2 shau1 - to let go the pride and worship. (3) bud as in
nga1-pyau3 pfu3 - banana buds (edible after cooking.) (4) had done before; had been there, had
prior experience. E.g., ပုဂံရောက်ဖူးလား။ |
ba1-gun2 yout pfu3 la3 - Have you been to Bagan? (5) to treat with indulgence as in
pfu3-pfu3 hmoat. E.g.,
မိဘက ဖူးဖူးမှုတ်ထားသော ကလေး |
mi1-ba1 gah1 pfu3-pfu3 hmoat hta3 dthau3 kha1-lay3 - a pampered child.
ဖြူ | pfyu2
- (1) white; fair skin. E.g.,
ဒီအမျိုးသမီး အသားအတော်ဖြူတယ်။ |
de2 a-myo3-tha1-mi3 a-tha3 a-tau2 pfyu2 deare2 - That lady has a pretty fair complexion.
(2) porcupine as in ဖြူကောင် |
pfyu2 koun2. (3) part of female Burmese names as in
pfyu2 pfyu2 - Phyu Phyu.
ဖြူး | pfyu3
- (1) without impediments.
ဖြူးဖြူးဖြောင့်ဖြောင့် ရောက်သွားတယ်။ |
pfyu3-pfyu3-pfyoun1-pfyoun1 yout thwa3 deare2 - the journey was smooth-sailing.
(2) to sprinkle salt, etc..
ဆားဖြူးပြီး ငရုတ်ကောင်းခတ်လိုက်။ |
hsa3 pfyu3 pyi3 nga1-yoat-goun3 khut lite - Sprinkle some salt and put some pepper powder.
(3) breezy. E.g., လေကလေး တဖြူးဖြူးနဲ့ပဲ။ |
lay2-ga1-lay3 ta1 pfyu3-pfyu3 neare1 beare3 - It's quite breezy here!
ဘု | bu1
- (1) a bump. (2) rude. Examples:
- ဒီလူဘုကြတယ်။ | de2 lu2 bu1 kja1 deare2 - That man is rude.
- ဘုပြောတယ်။ |
bu1 pyau3 deare2 - speaks disagreeably.
ဘူ | bu2
- the number with zero in it, or the number divisible by 10 avoided by some superstitious people.
ဘူး | bu3
- (1) marrow (vegetable); gourd
as in ဘူးသီး | bu3 thi3.
(2) bottle; container. Examples:
- ရေဘူး | yay2 bu3 - water bottle.
- ထမင်းဘူး | hta1-min3 bu3 - lunch box.
- စည်သွတ်ဘူး | si2 thoot bu3 -
preserved food in tin can.
မူ | mu2
- (1) to bring one's mind and or body to a particular direction. Examples:
- သတိမူ | tha1-di1 mu2 - to be attentive.
- ရန်မူ | yan2 mu2 - to make hostilities.
- မျက်နှာမူ |
myet-hna2 mu2 - to face in the direction of.
- မူလ | mu2 la1 - origin.
- - - - ပေါ်မူတည်တယ်။ | - - - - pau2 mu2-ti2 deare2 - depends on xxxx.
- မူကြမ်း |
mu2 jan3 - draft of the proposed law in the parliament.
မူး | mu3
- (1) dizzy. E.g., ခေါင်းမူးတယ်။ |
goun3 mu3 deare2 - I feel dizzy. (2) to get drunk as in
a-yet mu3 . E.g.,
de2 lu2 a-yet mu3 nay2 deare2 - This man is drunk.
mu3 yit hsay3 wa3 - narcotics; drugs.
Don't drink and drive. Also, don't drink and dance! This video is not what it seems. The entertainer is just acting out the Myanmar traditional ကိုကြီးကျော် | ko2-ji3 kjau2 dance.
Myanmar Ko Gyi Kyaw Dance
Burmese people know how to have fun during Mid April New year and Water Festival season. Government wanted to reduce the holidays from 10 days to 5 but had to revert back. Have less fun. Don't build private rooms behind Stages please. Don't spice food and drinks with drugs. If you must, use sugar or salt instead. Also, no selling of alcohol around the pavilions and stages. But will the traditions go away easily?Posted by Naing Tinnyuntpu on Wednesday, 12 April 2017
မြူ | myu2
- (1) fog; mist. (2) tiny particles as in အဏုမြူဗုံး |
a-nu1-myu2 bone3 - atomic bomb.
မြူး | myu3
- to be in high spirit; playful.
မှု | hmu1
- (1) something serious as in အမှု |
a-hmu1 - a legal case. (2) used with the negative မ
| ma1 to mean disregard or insignificant.
E.g., ဒါလောက်တော့ မမှုဘူး။ | da2 lout dau1 ma1 hmu1 bu3 -
That doesn't bother me. I don't take it seriously.
မှုး | hmu3
- suffix or attachment used for head
of the department and high ranking army officers. Examples:
- ညွှန်ကြားရေးမှုး | hnyoon2-kja3-yay3 hmu3 - director.
- ဗိုလ်မှုးကြီး |
bo2 hmu3 ji3 - colonel.
မြှူ | hmyu2
- to entice and tempt as in မြှူဆွယ် |
ယု | yu1 -
part of Burmese names as in
san3 yu1 - San Yu (male) and ယုဇန |
yu1 za1 na1 Yuzana (female). Other usage: ယုယ |
yu1-yah1 - tender care.
ယူ | yu2 -
to take; to accept. Examples:
- ဒါယူမလား။ | da2 yu2 ma1 la3 - Do you want to take it? Do you like it?
- ယူဆ |
yu2 hsa1 - to form an opinion = to take the facts + to weigh in the mind.
ရူး | yu3 -
ရှု | shu1
- to look at; see. E.g.,
e2 dtho1 shu1 ba2 - Please see this link.
ရှူ | shu2
- to breath; to inhale; to smoke opium or drugs. E.g., ဆေးခြောက်ရှူ |
hsay3 chout shu2 - to smoke marijuana.
ရှူး | shu3
- to taper off. E.g.,
a-pfya3 shu3 thwa3 deare2 - to taper off towards the end of a rod, etc.; broken promises.
လု | lu1
- (1) to rob. (2) suffix to mean 'almost'
or 'nearly'. E.g., အခုလောက်ဆို သူရောက်လုပြီ။ |
a-khu1 lout hso2 thu2 yout lu1 byi2 - He should almost be there by now.
လူ | lu2
- (1) man; male (2) person or people in general
as in ပြည်သူလူထု |
pyi2-thu2 lu2 htu1 - the people. (3) rise of smoke as in
mi3-kho3 ta1-lu2-lu2 (4) part of male Burmese names as in
lu2 min3 - Lu Min.
လူ | lu2 refers to a man or a person. လူလည် | lu2 leare2 is a clever and a shrewd person who also happens to be a swindler, a cheater, a deceiver, a charlatan, a scammer, a double-crosser, a con man, a trickster and a liar who will make you to believe something that is not true. "Be careful, there are con men all around," the lyric says. "Oh my God! Let me protect you from all those con men. Come closer to me. I'll hold you by your waist, and we'll be happy together, of course..." We the Burmese People have lu2 leare2, where လည် | leare2 means to spin, long before there are spin-doctors in American politics.
Swindlers All Around
(လူ | lu2) refers to a man or a person. (လူလည် | lu2 leare2) is a clever and a shrewd person who also happens to be a swindler, a cheater, a deceiver, a charlatan, a scammer, a double-crosser, a con man, a trickster and a liar who will make you to believe something that is not true. "Be careful, there are con men all around," the lyric says. "Oh my God! Let me protect you from all those con men. Come closer to me. I'll hold you by your waist, and we'll be happy together, of course..." We the Burmese People have lu2 leare2, where (လည် | leare2) means to spin, long before there are spin-doctors in American politics. ဟဲလေး | heare3 lay3 and Star International Dance Group [37 seconds]Posted by Naing Tinnyuntpu on Wednesday, May 25, 2016
လူး | lu3
- smear; to spread with. E.g.,
ပေါင်မုံ့ကို ထောပတ်လူး။ |
poun2-mone1 go2 htau3-but lu3 - spread butter over the bread.
လှူ | hlu2
- to donate; to sacrifice one's life for the country.
သု | thu1
- part of male Burmese names as in
သုတ | thu1 ta1 - Thuta.
သူ | thu2
- (1) he; she. E.g.,
thu2 beare2 thu2 leare3 - Who is she? (2) the person who does something as in
weare2 thu2 - the person who buys = customer. (3) suffix to indicate female. E.g.,
kjoun3 thu2 - female student.
သူ့ | thu1
- him; her; his; himself; herself. Examples:
- သူ့ဟာသူလုပ်ပါစေ။ | thu1 ha2 thu2 loat ba2 zay2 - Let him do by himself.
- သူ့ကိုဒါပေးလိုက်။ |
thu1 go2 da2 pay3 lite - Give this to him.
ဟု | hu1
- [literary] declare as; says that. E.g.,
သူလုပ်မည်ဟု ပြောသည်။ |
thu2 loat myi2 hu1 pyau3 thi2 - He said that he will do it.
ဟူ | hu2
- [literary] (1) declare as; says that. (2) 'every' as in ဟူသမျှ |
hu2-tha1-hmya1. E,g., လူဟူသမျှ တစ်နေ့သေရဦးမည်။ |
lu2 hu2-tha1-hmya1 ta1-nay1 thay2 yah1 ome3 myi2 - Every man must die one day. (3) reference to; known as.
E.g., မင်းကိုနိုင် ဟူသောအမည်ဖြင့် လူသိများကြသည်။ |
Min3-ko2-nine2 hu2 dthau3 a-myi2 pfyin1 lu2 thi1 mya3 ja1 dthi2
- He is well-known by the name "Min Ko Naing".
ဥ | u1
- (1) egg; to lay egg; roe. (2) suffix for
some bulb shaped vegetables as in မုန်လာဥ |
mone2-la2 u1 - carrot. Other usages:
- ရာသီဥတု | ya2-thi2 u2-tu1 - climate; weather.
- ဥဒါန်း | u1-dun3 - words of historical significance and remembrance handed down from generation to generation as in E.g., ဥဒါန်းမကျေ | u1-dun3 ma1-kjay2 - forever remembered.
- ဥပစာ | u1-pa1-sa2 - metaphor.
- ဥပဒေ | u1-pa1-day2 - law.
- ဥပဓိရုပ် | u1-pa1-di1 yoat - facial features of men which is judged by people whether he is educated and respectable.
- ဥပမာ | u1-pa1-ma2 - example.
- ဥပဒ် | u1-but - harm. E.g., ဥပဒ်ပေးနိုင်တယ်။ | u1-but pay3 nine2 deare2 - can be harmful.
- ဥပုသ် | u1-boat - Sabbath; eight Buddhist precepts. E.g., ဥပုသ်စောင့်သောနေ့ | u1-boat soun1 dthau3 nay1 - the day of Sabbath where eight Buddhist precepts are observed.
- ဥမင်လိုဏ်ခေါင်း | u1-min2 hline2-goun3 - tunnel.
- ဥယျာဉ် | u1-yin2 - garden.
- ဥရောပ | u1-yau3-pa1 - Europe.
- ဥဩဆွဲသံ |
oat-au3 hsweare3 thun2 - sound of sirens.
အူ | u2
- (1) intestine. (2) howling. E.g.,
ခွေးတွေ အူနေကြတယ်။ |
khway3 dway2 u2 nay2 ja1 deare2 - The dogs are howling. (3) ringing in the ears. E.g.,
na3 u2 nay2 deare2 - I have ringing in the ears. (4) stupid; not smart. E.g.,
u2-kjoun2-kjoun2 koun2 beare3 - idiot!
ဦး | u3
- (1) to be ahead of others. E.g.,
အရင်ဦးအောင် လုပ်ထား။ |
a-yin2 u3 oun2 loat hta3 - Do it ahead of others. (2) beginning of period, activity, sequence.
E.g., မိုးဦး |
mo3 u3 - beginning of the rainy season (3) head of the body as in
u3 goun3 - head. (4) head of a group, department, organization, etc.. E.g.,
ain2-htoun2 u3-zi3 - head of the household.
(5) Title "Mr". E.g., ဦးသန့် |
u3 thun1 - U Thant of Burma who served as
the third Secretary General of the United Nations from 1961 to 1971. (6) part of male or female Burmese names especially for
the first-born as in တင်မောင်ဦး |
tin2 moun2 u3 - Tin Maung U (male), and သီတာဦး |
thi2 da2 u3 - Thida Oo (female).