Learn Myanmar Language in conversational and literary form. Learn to speak and read Burmese. The Free Online Colloquial Burmese (Myanmar language) lessons include Burmese script, MP3 audio, PDF files and easy Burmese grammar study materials with color-coded parts of speech: nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, conjunctions, particles, postpositional markers, and interjections.
|Ah1||"a" in "art" with silent "rt"|
|Ah2||"ar" in "Argentina" with silent "r"|
|Ah3||"ar" in "Artist" with slilent "r"|
|De1||"de" in "deep" with silent "p"|
|De2||"de" as in "demote"; "demand"|
|De3||"dee" as in "deer"; "decent"|
|Ko1||"colt" with silent "lt"|
|Ko2||as in "co-author"; "cocaine"|
|Ko3||"cold" wit silent "ld"|
|Yu1||"u" in "Youth" with silent "th"|
|Yu2||"u" as in "university"; "utensil"|
|Yu3||"u" as in "user"; "Unix"|
|Shan1||as in "shunt" with silent "t"|
|Shan2||"shun" as in "chandelier"|
|Shan3||as in "shun"|
|Au1||as in "auction"|
|Au2||as in "Australia";"auditor"|
|Au3||as in "August"|
|May1||"maize" with silent "ze"|
|May2||"may" as in "May I?"|
|May3||"ay" in "amazing"|
|Sin1||"sink" with silent "k"|
|Sin2||"sin" as in "sincerely"|
|Sin3||"sin" as in "sinful"; "Singapore"|
|Un1||"aunt" with silent "t"|
|Un2||"un" in "understanding"; "umbrella"|
|Un3||"un" as in "under"|
|Meare1||"melt" with silent "lt"|
|Meare2||"mel" in "Melbourne" with silent "l"|
|Meare3||"mare" of "nightmare"|
|Tain1||"taint" with silent "t"|
|Tain2||"tain" as in "Captain"|
|Tain3||"tain" as in "maintain"|
|Bine1||"Bryant" without "r"|
|Bine2||as in "carbine"|
|Bine3||as in "combine"|
|Dome1||as in "don't"|
|Dome2||close to "dominate"|
|Dome3||as in "dome"|
|Toon1||"doont" in "couldn't"|
|Toon2||"mon" in "monastery"|
|Toon3||"oon" as in "cartoon"|
|Koun1||"count" with silent "t"|
|Koun2||"coun" in "counter-strike"|
|Koun3||"coun" as in "counsel"|
|ate||cake, jade, eight, paid, bake|
|et||wet, set, mad, yet|
|oot||cook, put, look|
|out||out, south, mouse, doubt|
|ike/ite||sight, pipe, night, dice, like|
|ut||up, nut, sucks|
|oat||oat, coat, goat, soak|
|it||it, pit, sit|
Lesson 36: Burmese words with vowel 'A' — (Part 1) from (က) to (ဘ)
Burmese language is made up of a large proportion of monosyllable words where a single word has a meaning in itself. For example, က | ka1 means to dance, and ကျ | kja1 means to fall down. Those words are sometimes used as root words to form longer words or phrases, such as the word မ | ma1, which negates the verb that follows it.
I have already gone through the introduction of some of those words in Lesson 1 and Myanmar Script Learning Guide in Lesson 33. Those words will be fully covered here with explanations. The listing includes words with initial consonants from the 33 main characters as well as modified consonants using consonant modification symbols. The order of listing follows the standard Myanmar dictionary format. Those single-syllable words will not only help you to build up Burmese vocabulary starting from the simplest, they will also aid in reading and writing (or typing) skills.
I believe that grouping the Myanmar vocabulary by vowel sounds has advantages. When learning a new foreign word, you need to remember not only the meaning of the word, but also the pronunciation. When new words with similar spelling patterns are associated with certain sound group, learning process becomes more efficient.
Secondly, to recall a word or to search for the meaning of the word that you have heard of somewhere becomes easier if you remember that the word belongs to certain phonetic group.
Thirdly, vocabulary listings with Burmese to English translation captures the essential and common usages in Burmese that you will not find in English to Burmese dictionaries. To give an example, the word ba2 will never make it as an separate entry into English to Burmese dictionary although it is very commonly used.
Moreover, with English to Burmese dictionary alone, you will not know that the same Burmese word with the same spelling or other words with similar sound could mean several things in English.
Let's start with vowel "A" in 3 tone variations. As explained in the introduction to the Burmese language, the words with the stand-alone (single syllable) vowel "A" in the first tone will have the full sound such as kah1 when spoken, as opposed to a short sound such as in ကဗျာ | ka1-bya2 (Poem).
To change into the second tone, add yay3-cha1 to the right, which comes in two shapes: ာ or ါ .
To further change into the third tone, add း | shay1-ga1-pout to the right of yay3-cha1.
In addition to the main single-syllable words that the beginners must first focus on, I have also included words in the same vowel group, so Lesson 36 to Lesson 57 can be used as an essential mini-dictionary arranged in vowel groups.
Ah1 - Ah2 - Ah3 | အ - အာ - အား
Myanmar Script has 33 main characters or letters. The first letter က - ka1 means to dance.
The First Letter in Burmese Script
Burmese Script has 33 main characters or letters. The first letter က "ka1" means to dance. (38 seconds). This is not a traditional dance like မှုန်ရွှေရည် (Hmone2 Shway2 Yi2) for which I had already dedicated the whole lesson explaining word by word.Posted by Naing Tinnyuntpu on Monday, May 2, 2016
က | ka1 -
gah1 for some words.
(1) the first character ကကြီး . (2) to dance.(3) from. E.g.,
beare2 gah1 la2 leare3 - Where do you come from?
Words with ka1:
- ကချင် | ka1-chin2 - various ethnic people in Kachin state.
- ကစား | ga1-za3 - to play.
- ကစားကွင်း | ga1-za3 kwin3 - playground.
- ကစားစရာ | ga1-za3 sa1-ya2 - toy.
- ကစဉ့်ကလျား | ka1-sin1-ka1-lya3 - in disorder.
- ကညွတ် | ka1-nyoot - asparagus.
- ကဏန်း | ga1-nun3 - crab.
- ကတိ | ga1-di1 - promise.
- ကတော့ | ga1-dau1 - funnel.
- ကတည်းက | ga1-deare3-gah1 - since. E.g., မနက် ကတည်းက စောင့်နေတယ်။ | ma1-net ga1-deare3-gah1 soun1 nay2 deare2 - (I have been) waiting since this morning.
- ကတုန်ကယင် | ga1-dome2-ga1-yin2 - trembling with fear.
- ကတွတ် | ga1-doot - a type of fig used to make sweet snack.
- ကထိက | ka1-hti1-ka1 - lecturer.
- ကထိန် | ka1-htain2 - Offering to several Buddhist monasteries around November on lucky-draw basis. (See lesson 26 for more.)
- ကနုကမာ | ka1-nu1-ka1-ma2 - oyster that bears pearl inside its shell.
- ကနွဲ့ကလျ | ka1-nweare1-ka1-lya1 - girlish manner as opposed to manly manner.
- ကပိုကရို | ga1-bo2-ga1-yo2 - unkempt appearance.
- ကပေါက်တိကပေါက်ချာ | ga1-bout-ti1-ga1-bout-cha2 - poor workmanship; anyhow does something.
- ကပျာကယာ | ga1-bya2-ga1-ya2 - in a hurry.
- ကဗျာ | ga1-bya2 - poem.
- ကဗျာဆန် | ga1-bya2 hsun2 - poetic.
- ကမကထ | ka1-ma1-ka1-hta1 - supervise.
- ကမောက်ကမ | ka1-mout-ka1-ma1 - chaotic; in disorder.
- ကမန်းကတန်း | ga1-mun3-ga1-dun3 - rush to do something.
- ကမြင်းကြောထ | ka1-myin3-jau3 hta1 - monkey play.
- ကယား | ka1-ya3 - ethnic "Kaya" people to the north of Kayin State.
- ကယောင်ချောက်ချား | ga1-youn2-chout-cha3 - deranged with unreasonable fear.
- ကရဝိက် | ka1-ra1-wate - mythical bird. (Note: the tourist attraction in Kandawgyi lake, Yangon is misspelled as ကရဝိတ် on some maps.)
- ကရာတေး | ka1-ra2-tay3 - Japanese martial art "Karate".
- ကရုဏာ | ga1-yu1-na2 -[Pali] compassion.
- ကရင် | ka1-yin2 - ethnical "Kayin" also known as "Karen" group.
- ကရိန်း | ka1-rain3 - [English] crane, a machine to move heavy objects.
- ကလတက် | ka1-la1-det - hollowed log, which is being replaced by recorded sound in some monasteries, stroke or played as a wake up call, usually around 4 in the morning. A series of beats has increasing in timing, followed by decreasing in timing to a stop. The pattern is repeated for about three times.
- ကလီစာ | ka1-li2-za2 - tripe and viscera of pigs or bovine used as delicacy in cooking.
- ကလေကချေ | ka1-lay2-ka1-chay2 - unrefined and uneducated person.
- ကလေး | kha1-lay3 - child; infant; baby.
- ကလဲ့စားချေ | ga1-leare1-sa3-chay2 - take revenge.
- ကလန်ကဆန် | ka1-lun2-ka1-hsun2 - rebellious.
- ကလန်ကလား | ga1-lun2-ga1-la3 - lanky.
- ကလိမ်ကျ | ka1-lain2-kja1 - swindle.
- ကလျာ | ka1-lya2 - desirable features of a woman with excellent figure, hair, skin, bones, and youthfulness.
- ကသိကအောင့်ဖြစ် |
ka1-thi1-ka1-oun1 pfyit - caused uncomfortable feeling.
ကာ | ka2 -
to block; to shield; to defend as in
ကာကွယ် | ka2-kweare2. Related words:
(1) ကာကွယ်ဆေး |
ka2-kweare2-hsay3 - vaccine.
(2) ကာကွယ်ရေး |
ka2-kweare2-yay3 - defence.
ကား | ka3 -
- to exaggerate; to spread legs or hands; [English] car.
ကျ | kja1 -
(1) to fall as in
thu2 thit-pin2 pau2 gah1 pyoat kja1 deare2 - He fell down from the tree. (2) to fail as in
moun2-ba1 sa2-may3-pweare3 kja1 pyan2 byi2 - Maung Ba failed the exams again. (3) to cost as in
beare2-lout kja1 ma1 leare3 - how much will the service cost? (4) to die in battle. (5) be in certain
positive condition or desirable state of mind. Examples:
- စိတ်တိုင်းကျ | sate-tine3-kja1 - as one wishes.
- ဇိမ်ကျ | zain-kja1 - in the state of enjoyment.
- သဘောကျ | tha1-bau3-kja1 - highly appreciative of the beauty or something desirable.
- ဟန်ကျ | hun2-kja1 - something turned out as
one's need; in luck.
Burmese word ကျ | kja1 can mean many things: to fall down, objects to drop, to fail the exam. item to cost certain amount of money, to die in the battle, or the satisfied and desired state of the mind over something. It can also be used for the season or the occasion to arrive or fall on certain date and time. For example, the traditional three days (now 5 days) of the Thingyan water festivals are compared to the three phases of the lunar eclipse where the shadow of the Earth falls ကျ | kja1, moves over completely ကြတ် | kjut, and out of the moon တက် | tet.
Burmese word ကျ | kja1 can mean many things: to fall down, objects to drop, to fail the exam. item to cost certain amount of money, to die in the battle, or the satisfied and desired state of the mind over something. It can also be used for the season or the occasion to arrive or fall on certain date and time. For example, the traditional three days (now 5 days) of the Thingyan water festivals are compared to the three phases of the lunar eclipse where the shadow of the Earth falls ကျ | kja1, moves over completely ကြတ် | kjut, and out the moon တက် | tet. [38 seconds]Posted by Naing Tinnyuntpu on Monday, May 16, 2016
ကျား | kja3
- (1) tiger. (2) checkers game. (3) buttress; support in building structure. (4) short for Men as in Men's room.
ကြ | kja1
- volume measurement for granary equivalent to 256 တင်း |
ကြ | ja1
- suffix after verbs to indicate plurality;
reference to more than one person as in နေကောင်းကြလား |
nay2 koun3 ja1 la3 - How's everyone?
ကြာ | kja2
- (1) take a long time as in ကြာလိုက်တာ။ |
kja2 lite da2 - Why is it taking so long? (2) lotus; water lily.
ကြား | kja3 -
hear something. E.g., ကြားရလား။ |
kja3 yah1 la3 - Can you hear me?
ကြား | ja3
- in-between; interim.
ကွ | kwa1 -
colloquial ending word used when explaining or telling something to someone with enthusiasm. E.g.,
ဒီမှာကွ။ | di2 hma2 kwa1 - It's right here!
ကွာ | kwa2
- (1) colloquial ending word to express frustration as in ကြာလိုက်တာကွာ။ |
kja2 lite da2 kwa2 - It's taking ages! (2) to be separated; to differ.
ကြွ | kjwa1 -
(1) arrival of honorable person; to invite such persons. (2) [slang] get killed as in ကြွသွားပြီ |
kjwa1 thwa3 byi2.
ကြွား | kjwa3
- to brag.
ခ | kha1 -
(1) the second character ခခွေး . (2) to approach with respect.
(3) part of male Burmese names as in မောင်မောင်ခ |
moun2 moun2 kha1 - Maung Maung Kha. (3) common names for streets as in
kha1-yay2-pin2 lun3 - Khayae Pin Road. (Indian Medlar tree.)
Words with kha1:
- ခဏ | kha1-na1 - for a while. E.g., ဒီမှာခဏစောင့် | de2 hma2 kha1-na1 soun1 - Wait here for a while.
- ခဏခဏ | kha1-na1 kha1-na1 - frequently; often.
- ခနော်ခနဲ့ | kha1-nau2 kha1-neare1 - not strong, firm, or secure in structure.
- ခမောက် | kha1-mout - bamboo hat with broad brim all around.
- ခမည်းတော် | kha1-myi3-dau2 - father of Buddhist monks or royalty. Sometimes the word is also used to show euphoric effect for a father of an ordinary person.
- ခရာ | kha1-ya2 - bugle.
- ခရီး | kha1-yi3 - travel; journey.
- ခရီးသွားလုပ်ငန်း | kha1-yi3-thwa3 loat-ngan3 - travel business; travel agency. E.g., အာရှပုလဲ ခရီးသွားလုပ်ငန်း | ah2-sha1 pa1-leare3 kha1-yi3-thwa3 loat-ngan3 - Asia Pearl Travels.
- ခရု | kha1-yu1 - snail; shellfish.
- ခရိုင် | kha1-yine2 - district.
- ခရစ်တော် | kha1-rit-tau2 - Jesus Christ.
- ခရစ်ယာန် | kha1-rit-yan2 - Christian.
- ခရမ်းသီး | kha1-yan3-thi3 - egg-plant.
- ခရမ်းချဉ်သီး | kha1-yan3-chin2-thi3 - tomato.
- ခရမ်းရောင် | kha1-yan3-youn2 - purple; violet.
- ခရမ်းလွန်ရောင်ခြည် | kha1-yan3-loon2 youn2-chi2 - ultraviolet rays.
- ခလုတ် | kha1-loat - switch.
- ခလုတ်တိုက် | kha1-loat tite - trip over.
- ခလုတ်နှိပ် | kha1-loat hnate - press the button.
- ခလုတ်ပိတ် | kha1-loat pate - switch off.
- ခလုတ်ဖွင့် |
kha1-loat pfwin1 - switch on.
ခါ | kha2
- (1) to shake off as in ခါချလိုက်။ |
kha2 cha1 lite - shake it off.(2) suffix used for frequency and time. (3) red ant as in
ခါချဉ် | kha2-chin2.
ခါး | kha3
- (1) bitter (2) waist.
ချ | cha1
- (1) [slang] to fight.
(2) [slang] to consume alcohol, etc.. (3) to put down; to lower. E.g.,
ဒီမှာချ။ | de2 hma2 cha1 - Put it down here.
ခြင်ထောင် ချ | chin2-htoun2 cha1
- set up a mosquito-net. (4) to place or arrange.
ချာ | cha2
- inferior in quality.
ချား | cha3
- ferris-wheel. ချားစီး | cha3 si3
- to ride a ferris-wheel.
ခြ | cha1
ခြာ | cha2
- occur at intervals.
ခြား | cha3
- to differ; to separate.
ခွ | khwa1
- (1) to straddle as in ခွစီး | khwa1 si3 - to ride by sitting astride.
(2) wrench; spanner.
ခွ | gwa1 -
to be in a difficult situation as in ခွကျတာပဲ။ |
gwa1 kja1 ta2 beare3.
ခွာ | khwa2
- (1) hoof. (2) to peel off. (3) to pull away as in ဆုတ်ခွာ |
ဂ | ga1 -
the third character ဂငယ်. Words that sound like ga1:
- ကန်စွန်းရွက် | ga1-zoon3-ywet - watercress.
- ကန်စွန်းဥ | ga1-zoon3-u1 - sweet potato.
- ကန်တော့ | ga1-dau1 - Burmese Buddhists to show respect to the elders, teachers and the monks by putting the palms together in the kneeling position, and the upper body is bent forward until the palms touch the ground. The act is repeated three times.
- ခါးပိုက်နှိုက် | ga1-bite-hnite - pick-pocket.
- ခေါင်းတုံး | ga1-dome3 - bald head; clean-shaven head.
- ဃ | ga1 - the fourth character ဃကြီး .
င | nga1 -
(1) the fifth character. (2) derogatory prefix used as names or in
front of names such as ငကြွား | nga1-kjwa3 -
ငါ့ | nga1
- [informal] my. E.g., အဲဒါငါ့ဟာကွ။ |
eare1-da2 nga1 ha2 kwa1 - That's mine!
ငါ | nga2
- [informal] I; colloquial first person term used when speaking to one's equal or lower in social status.
ငါး | nga3
- (1) fish. (2) five.
ငြာ | nya2
- to shout in a sense to incite and rouse emotions, or show of support as in ငြာသံပေး |
nya2 thun2 pay3 - rallying cry. Related word: ကြော်ငြာ |
kjau2 nya2 - advertisement.
ငှ | hnga1 -
to distribute as in ဝေငှ | way2 hnga1.
ငှာ | hnga2
- suffix used as 'for' as in အကျိုးငှာ |
a-kjo3 hnga2 - for the benefit of.
ငှား | hnga3
- (1) to borrow something; to hire someone; to rent a house or a car. E.g., ကားငှားချင်တယ်။ |
ka3 hnga3 chin2 deare2 - I want to rent a car. (2) to lend or loan something to someone.
စ | sa1 -
(1) the sixth character စလုံး . (2) to start. (3) to tease.
(4) combined with other words for euphonic effect as in ရှက်စနိုး |
shat-sa1-no3 - bashful.
စာ | sa2 -
(1) writing; letter; language as in
မြန်မာစာ | myan2-ma2 sa2 - Burmese Language.
(2) sparrow. (3) to sympathize with as in
စာနာ | sa2 na2. (4) reference to food as in
nya1-za2 - dinner. (5) for a certain
number as in နှစ်ယောက်စာ | hna1 yout sa2 - for
စား | sa3 -
(1) to eat or to consume.
(2) to make a living as in ဘာလုပ်စားလဲ။ | ba2 loat sa3 leare3 - What do you do for living?
(3) to corrode as in သံချေးစား | thun2-ji3 sa3. (4) to erode as
in ရေစါးသွားပြီ။ | yay2 sa3 thwa3 byi2. (5) [Math] to divide.
စွ | swa1 -
an ending word for emphasis more often used in literary form.
စွာ | swa2
- (1) rude and quarrelsome. E.g., စွာလိုက်တာ။ | swa2 lite da2 - how rude!
(2) part of male Burmese names as in ကျော်စွာ |
kjau2 zwa2 - Kyaw Swa.
ဆ | hsa1 -
(1) the seventh character ဆလိမ် . (2) proportion; a number of times as
in နှစ်ဆတိုး | hna1 hsa1 toe3
- to increase by two folds.
ဆာ | hsa2
- hungry. E.g., ဆာပြီလား။ | hsa2 byi2 la3
- Are you hungry?
ဆား | hsa3
ဆွ | hswa1
- (1) to loosen the soil, etc. (2) to instigate.
ဇ | za1 -
the eighth character ဇကွဲ. Words that sound like za1:
- စကား | za1-ga3 - spoken language; speak; speech.
- စားပွဲ | za1-bweare3 - table.
- ဆံထုံး | za1-dome3 - traditional hair-style for Myanmar women.
- ဆံပင် | za1-bin2 - hair.
- တံတွေး |
za1-dway3 - saliva; spittle.
ဇာ | za2
- (1) lace. (2) part of both male and female Burmese names as in သူဇာ | thu2 za2 - Thuzar (female),
and ဇာနည် | za2 ni2 - Zarni (male).
ဈ | za1 -
the ninth character ဈမျည်းဆွဲ.
ဉ | nya1 -
the tenth (Pali) character ဉကလေး.
ည | nya1 -
(1) the tenth character ညကြီး . (2) night.
ညာ | nya2
- (1) right-hand side. (2) to lie.
ညား | nya3
- to marry as in 'A' got married to 'B'.
ညှာ | hnya2
- (1) to be considerate. (2) be lenient.
ဋ | ta1 -
the eleventh character ဋသန်လျင်းချိတ်.
ဌ | hta1 -
the twelfth character ဌဝမ်းဘဲ.
ဍ | da1 -
the thirteenth character ဍရင်ကောက်.
ဎ | da1 -
the fourteenth character ဎရေမှုတ်.
ဏ | na1 -
the fifteenth character ဏကြီး.
တ | ta1 -
(1) the sixteenth character တဝမ်းပူ . (2) adverb maker when combined with other
words such as ဂရုတစိုက် | ga1-yu1-ta1-site -
with care. (3) to long for; to wish for as in
ဘုရားတ | pfa1-ya3 ta1 - to wish for God (or the Buddha)
by saying prayers.
- တာ | ta2 or soften da2 - suffix appended to verbs or adjectives to make nouns. E.g., ပြော | pyau3 - to say (verb). ပြောတာ | pyau3 da2 - speech (noun).
တား | ta3
- to prevent; to prohibit.
တွား | twa3
- to crawl.
ထ | hta1 -
(1) the seventeenth character ထဆင်ထူး . (2) to get up, to rise up, to stand as in
အိပ်ရာထ | ate-ya2 hta1 - to get up from bed.
(3) erupt; outbreak as in ရောဂါထ | yau3-ga2 hta1 -
outbreak of disease.
ထား | hta3
- (1) to put; to place; to keep as in
ဒီမှာထား | di2 hma2 hta3 - put it here.
(2) equivalent to present participle [~ing] :
a-pfyu2-youn2 ain3-ji2 woot hta3 deare1 lu2
- The man who is wearing a white shirt.
(3) to do something in advance as in
ဝယ်ထားလိုက်။ | weare2 hta3 lite - buy now while there is
opportunity although the item is not for immediate use or consumption.
ထွာ | htwa2
- a span of a stretched palm from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger used as measurement.
ထွား | htwa3
- burly; large in size usually used to describe the spurt of growth during adolescence; plants that grow to a large size.
ဒ | da1 -
the eighteenth character ဒထွေး.
ဒါ | da2
- this. ( Common colloquial words :
ဒါနဲ့ | da2 neare1 - by the way.
ဒါပေမဲ့ | da2 pay2 meare1 - but.
ဒါဖြင့် | da2 pfyin1 - in that case.)
ဓ | da1 -
the nineteenth character ဓအောက်ခြိုက်.
ဓါး | da3
န | na1 -
the twentieth character နငယ်.
Words with na1:
- နဂါး | na1-ga3 - mythical dragon.
- နဂါးငွေ့တန်း | na1-ga1-ngway1 dun3 - the Milky Way.
- နဂို | na1-go2 - original state or condition.
- နပန်း | na1-bun3 - wrestling.
- နဖူး | na1-pfu3 - forehead.
- နဘေ | na1-bay2 - rhyme.
- နမူနာ | na1-mu2-na2 - example.
- နမော်နမဲ့ | na1-mau2-na1-meare1 - careless.
- နယုန် | na1-yone2 - third month of the year in Burmese calendar.
- နရား | na1-ya3 - mythical dragon-like animal. Unlike နဂါး | na1-ga3, it has hind-legs and tail of the lion.
- နဝမ | na1-wa1-ma1 - [Pali] ninth.
- နဝရတ် | na1-wa1-rut - [Sanskrit] the nine
precious stones namely, ruby, pearl, coral, emerald, topaz, diamond, sapphire, garnet and cat's eye.
နာ | na2
- (1) to be painful; to feel hurt psychologically as in
စိတ်နာတယ် | sate na2 deare2. (2) suffer a loss of time,
money or chance as in နစ်နာတယ် | nit-na2 deare2 (3) listen attentively as in
တရားနာ | ta1-ya3 na2 - to listen to Dhamma (religious) talks.
Words with na2:
- နာဂ | na2-ga1 - ethnic people living in the north west hills of Myanmar.
- နာနတ် | na2-nut - pineapple.
- နာမ | na2-ma1 - [Pali] name as in နာမ ရူပ | na2-ma1 yu2-pa1 - name and form; spiritual and physical.
- နာမဝိသေသန | na2-ma1-wi1-thay2-tha1-na1 - adjective.
- နာမည် | nun2-meare2 - name.
- နာယက | na2-ya1-ka1 - chairperson.
- နာရီ | na2-yi2 - clock; watch.
- နာရီဝက် | na2-yi2-wet - half an hour
နား | na3
- (1) ear. (2) to rest. E.g.,
နားပါဦး။ | na3 ba2 ome3 - Please take a rest.
နွား | nwa3
- ox; bull, cow.
နှာ | hna2
နွှာ | hnwa2
- to peel off.
ပ | pa1 -
(1) the twenty first character ပစောက် . (2) to remove; be eradicated as
in ပပြောက် | pah1 pyout. (3) part of female
Burmese names as in ပပ | pa1 pa1 - Pa Pa.
- ပကတိ | pa1-ga1-di1 - original, normal, unaffected state.
- ပခုံး | pa1-khone3 - shoulder.
- ပဋိပက္ခ | pa1-ti1-pet-kha1 - conflict.
- ပဋိသန္ဓေ | pa1-ti1-thun2-day2 - pregnancy.
- ပဋိစ္စသမုပ္ပာဒ် | pa1-date-sa1 tha1-mote-pup - [Buddhism] - Law of Dependent Origination; Law of Dependent Co-Arising.
- ပထမ | pa1-hta1-ma1 - first.
- ပထဝီဝင် | pa1-hta1-wi2 win2 - geography.
- ပထွေး | pa1-htway3 - step-father.
- ပဒေသာ | pa1-day2-dtha2 - variety; plenty of something.
- ပဓာန | pa1-da2-na1 - what is important, essential, fundamental.
- ပမာဏ | pa1-ma2-na1 - magnitude; size.
- ပရမတ် | pa1-ra1-mut - [Buddhism] Ultimate Reality; Absolute Truth as opposed to ပညတ် | pyin1-nyut - conventional truth.
- ပရိဘောဂ | pa1-ri1-bau3-ga1 - furniture.
- ပရိသတ် | pa1-rate-thut - audience.
- ပရုတ်ဆီ | pa1-yote-hsi2 - hot rubbing balm to relieve muscular pain.
- ပရုတ်လုံး | pa1-yote-lone3 - moth-ball.
- ပလာတာ | pa1-la2-ta2 - Indian pancake parata.
- ပလုတ်ကျင်း | pa1-loat kjin3 - gargle; rinse the mouth.
- ပဟေဠိ | pa1-hay2-li1 - riddle; puzzle.
- ပုခက် | pa1-khet - cradle.
- ပုဆိုး |
pa1-hso3 - Sarong worn by Burmese male.
ထဘီ | hta1-main2
is a similar garment worn by female in a different fashion. Unisex term is
lone2-ji2, worn in different styles according to the gender.
ပါ့ | pa1
- emphasizes the verb as in ဟုတ်ပါ့ |
hote pa1 - yes, indeed.
ပါ | pa2
- (1) to include. (2) to accompany. (3) to be carried. (4) keen interest; hobby; inclination as in ဝါသနာမပါဘူး။ |
wa2-tha1-na2 ma1 pa2 bu3 - I am not too keen in this.
ပါ | ba2
- emphasis in speech as in
ဟုတ်ပါတယ်။ | hote ba2 deare2 - yes, indeed.
ပါး | pa3
- (1) thin. E.g., ပါးပါးလှီး။ | pa3 pa3 hli3 - Cut into thin slices.
(2) small in amount. (3) shrewd. (4) cheek.
ပျာ | pya2
- become restless.
ပျား | pya3
ပြ | pya1
- to show; to display.
ပြာ | pya2
- (1) blue. (2) dim vision as in
မျက်စိပြာသွားတယ်။ | myet-si1 pya2 thwa3 deare2 - blur vision
caused by bright light. (3) vocal quality such as that of Cliff Richard or Rod Steward with resonance as opposed to sharp vocal sound as in
အသံပြာတယ်။ | a-thun2 pya2 deare2.
ပြား | pya3
- (1) flat and thin; flattened. (2) 1/100 of 1 Kyat. (3) vary as in
ကွဲပြား | kweare3 pya3.
ပွ | pwa1 -
(1) to swell; puffy; fluffy; pulpy as opposed to
compact with high density ကျစ် | kjit.
(2) encounter with good fortune as in ပွတာပဲ။ |
pwa1 da2 beare3.
(3) loose and baggy as in ဘောင်းဘီပွတယ်။ | boun3-be2 pwa1 deare2
- those pants are baggy.
- ပွား | pwa3 - to grow and increase in number.
- ဖ | pfa1 - (1) the twenty second character ဖဦးထုပ် . (2) father as in ဖခင် | pfa1 khin2.
ဖာ | pfa2
- (1) to mend; patch. E.g., ဘီးပေါက်နေတာ ဖာပေးပါ။ |
bain3 pout nay2 da2 pfa2 pay3 ba2 -
Please help to patch the punctured tire. (2) [vulgar] prostitute.
ဖား | pfa3
- (1) frog. (2) to flatter in servile way to get favors; to curry favor.
ဖျာ | pfya2
ဖျား | pfya3
- have fever.
ဖြာ | pfya2
- to radiate out in different directions.
ဖြား | pfya3
- to seduce and deceive as in ဖြားယောင်း | pfya3 youn3.
ဖွ | pfwa1 -
(1) to mess up the room, etc. (not applicable
to life, situations, etc..)(2) to ruffle the hair. (3) incantation to ward off pain etc.. Similar to English expression, "touch wood", but
used by adults to console small children. E.g.,
ဥုံဖွ၊ နာနာပျောက်စေ။ | Ome2 pfwa1, na2 na2 pyout say2 -
Go away pain, go away, I say.
ဖွာ | pfwa2
- to puff a cheroot, cigar or cigarette.
ဖွား | pfwa3
- (1) to give birth to a child. (2) to be born in certain country or year as in
မြန်မာပြည်ဖွား | Myan2-ma2 pyi2 pfwa3 - born in Myanmar.
ဗ | ba1 -
the twenty third character ဗထက်ခြိုက်.
ဗျ | bya1 -
colloquial ending word (male) as in ဟုတ်တယ်ဗျ။ | hote teare2 bya1 - Yes, true!
ဗျာ | bya2
- (1) colloquial (male) answer to the call. (2) interjection (male) to express shock.
ဗျား | bya3
- (1) colloquial (male) answer to the call. (2) colloquial ending word (male) for positive statements as in
ဟုတ်ပါံ့ဗျား။ | hote pa1 bya3 - absolutely!
ဘ | ba1 -
the twenty fourth character ဘကုန်း . (2) father. (3) prefix for father's elder
brother or someone older than father as in
ဘဘကြီး | ba1 ba1 ji3 - big Uncle, as opposite to
ဦးလေး | u3 lay3 - young Uncle. (4) part of
male Burmese names as in ဘမော် | ba1 mau2 - Ba Maw.
Words that sound like ba1:
- ဘီလူး | ba1-lu3 - ogre; giant.
- ဘုရင် | ba1-yin2 - king.
- ပုစဉ်း | ba1-zin3 - dragon fly.
- ပုစွန် | ba1-zoon2 - prawn.
- ပြတင်းပေါက် | ba1-din3-pout - window.
- ပြဒါး |
ba1-da3 - mercury (Hg); the only metal that is liquid at ordinary temperatures.
ဘာ | ba2
- The first word in questions "what" and "why". E.g., ဒါဘာလဲ။ |
da2 ba2 leare3 - What is this?
ဘား | ba3
- (1) [English] a horizontal rod used by gymnasts. (2) [English] establishment where alcohol is served.
ဘွား | bwa3
- grandmother as in ဘိုးဘွား | bo3 bwa3 - ancestors. Also commonly pronounced as
in အဘွား | a-pfwa3 - grandmother.